The Office Assistant is responsible for providing general secretarial support in our Davenport Clinic.
- Responsible to the assigned administrator and has a support responsibility to all other departments and College personnel as necessary.
- Responsible for the supervision of work study students as required.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILILTIES
- Perform various secretarial duties in support of department and personnel functions, including receiving and screening phone calls, processing mail, typing, and filing.
- Provide assistance and backup support in the administration of department functions and completion of special projects.
- Perform daily start-up activities, including opening the department, preparing machines and equipment for daily use, and other related duties.
- Assist with the processing of department/office purchase requisitions and work orders as needed.
- Provide assistance to students, faculty, alumni, and visitors.
- Assist in the coordination of scheduling requirements.
- Assumes coordination of special programs/projects.
- Perform all responsibilities in a manner that fully complies with Palmer’s Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to perform assigned duties with time pressures and frequent interruptions.
- Ability to utilize general office equipment and other necessary equipment.
- Ability to utilize personal computer and various software packages.
- Ability to type 30-40 WPM with minimal errors.
- Ability to analyze and resolve difficult problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work various hours as job requires.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or equivalent; two years additional schooling, with secretarial-related training preferred; less than one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Performs sedentary to light work in a ventilated, lighted, and temperature controlled office setting.
- Frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 10 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the workday.