HVAC Mechanic (Full-time, 2nd Shift)
General Information & Responsibilities
Black Hawk College seeks a full-time HVAC Mechanic for the Quad Cities Campus located in Moline, IL. Position will work 2nd shift from 2:30pm - 11:00pm, Monday - Friday.
The HVAC Mechanic responds to signals and commands which are generated by the Johnson Control Metasys System, or communications left by Facilities Superintendent or other Console/HVAC staff; provides general maintenance work as needed to physical plant.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Completes written reports regarding maintenance and/or the console system in a timely manner.
- Maintains an up-to-date complete working knowledge of the operation of the console and interpreting the logs and signals into understandable maintenance assignments.
- Completes written reports regarding unusual sights or happenings observed during the shift which may affect the safety of people and/or the buildings and the contents; reports in writing any irregularities which might affect the operation of the physical plant.
- Responsible for keeping close watch on mechanical equipment and for making minor repairs on mechanical equipment as required.
- Makes a minimum of two rounds on each shift to all mechanical rooms; listens and visually observes equipment in operation; logs verbally and/or in writing any variances; passes information regarding variances to the next shift and/or if critical immediately notifies supervisor (or designee).
- Actions taken regarding mechanical equipment are noted on work orders and passed to the next shift or reference; notifications must also be provided to the Facilities Superintendent.
- Performs miscellaneous building maintenance assignments to the interior exterior of buildings as directed.
- Responsible for performing major repairs of equipment as necessary (full-time HVAC Mechanics).
- Completes routine and scheduled preventative maintenance assignments including but not limited to: boilers, chiller, air handling equipment, pumps, fans, motors, lighting, furniture repairs, plumbing, etc.
- Performs visual inspections at the Outreach Center and checks for maintenance issues and reports findings as necessary; in event of an emergency situation immediately reports to Facilities Superintendent (or designee).
- Provides training to HVAC/Console staff regarding work related information and duties.
- Responsible for working first, second, or third shift as needed with shift differential as provided.
- Responsible for following all federal, state, local, and departmental safety regulations.
- Attends required trainings as needed.
- Maintains satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record.
- Performs painting duties as required.
- Assists other HVAC/Console staff in performing maintenance work as needed.
- Responsible for providing back-up, night-time and weekend telephone answering service to the College; disseminates messages as appropriate.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
- Demonstrates BHC core values.
- Accuracy, efficiency, and timeliness of work.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to communicate in pleasant manner others.
- Works directly with the Facilities Superintendent.
- Works cooperatively with other Console and HVAC staff.
- Works cooperatively with the College Police to provide maximum communication and safety to all personnel on campus.
- Works cooperatively with Custodial staff to ensure safety and security of entire plant.
- Works cooperatively with vendors as needed.
- Works cooperatively with other College employees as needed.
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or recognized equivalent required. Completion of courses in electrical or mechanical technology or trade school background desired.
- Minimum of three years of Building maintenance experience or background required. Trade experience is acceptable.
- Must be completely dependable and neat in personal appearance and have the ability and willingness to follow instructions.
- Must be alert at all times and able to react calmly in an emergency.
- Mechanical background and interest are essential.
- Must be able to communicate well with people from all walks of life.
- Skill in the use of tools and equipment required.
- Ability to occasionally lift 50 pounds required.
- Basic knowledge of computer systems and how they work, plus the ability to read and understand instructional manuals and interpret data from Honeywell Console into work assignments.
- Valid driver's license required.
BHC provides an outstanding benefits package including health insurance, paid sick leave, paid, vacation, paid holidays, free tuition and more. Be sure to check out the Benefits tab of this posting.
Please note - On July 12, 2022, Illinois Governor J. D. Pritzker rescinded Executive Order 2022-16, Vaccination or Test Mandate.
As a result, anyone entering Black Hawk College campus locations who are not fully vaccinated will no longer be required to submit to weekly COVID-19 compliance testing. However, contact tracing will continue to be conducted and individuals need to report a positive COVID-19 test, symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or close contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status.
We encourage everyone to continue to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms regardless of vaccination status. If you have questions regarding COVID-19 or testing mandates, please contact Nikki Rumburg, COVID and Crisis Response Project Manager at email@example.com.
Black Hawk College does not sponsor employment visas.
Black Hawk College is an AA/EEO employer.