The Maintenance Mechanic will assist the Facilities manager by overseeing and being directly involved in the maintenance and repairs of electrical, plumbing, equipment, buildings and grounds for the college facilities.
Responsible to the assigned administrator and has a support responsibility to all other departments and college personnel as necessary
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for chiropractic table repair, classroom and clinic maintenance.
- Responsible for inspections and repairs of College buildings, parking lots and residences (as applicable).
- Responsible for inspections, repairs, and preventive maintenance of equipment on campus and residences (as applicable).
- Perform electrical and plumbing repairs on campus and residences (as applicable.
- Assist the assigned manager with scheduling, completing and follow-up of maintenance work orders in a timely manner.
- Assist the assigned manager in buying, ordering and maintaining an inventory of parts, material, and supplies.
- Inspect and repair equipment, furniture and etc. for College’s classrooms, offices, buildings and residences (as applicable).
- Assist the assigned manager in overseeing and is involved with snow removal and related duties for College facilities, as applicable.
- Operate skid loader, snow plow, sidewalk salter, grounds mower and tractors for lawn care, as applicable.
- Responsible for the gas-fired boilers, furnaces and hot water systems in the apartment buildings, as applicable.
- Assist the assigned manager in overseeing and is involved with remodeling projects on campus.
- Operate fork lift, as applicable.
- Responsible for set up for all campus events, i.e., Homecoming, Graduation, seminars, National Board Reviews.
- Responsible for repair of electrical switches, outlets, plumbing, drains, piping.
- Responsible for carpentry work.
- Perform all responsibilities in a manner that fully complies with Palmer’s Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws pertaining to maintenance operations and maintenance of machine and building repairs.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with time pressures and frequent interruptions and minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain mental concentration for extended periods of time.
- Ability to utilize necessary equipment.
- Ability to analyze and resolve unexpected and routine problems.
- Knowledge of and experience using small hand and power tools, electrical meters and tools, plumbing tools and equipment, and snow removal and lawn maintenance equipment, including tractors.
- Ability to lift in excess of 50 pounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability work various hours as job requires.
- Ability to stay current with education and training in the maintenance field.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent; five years related maintenance experience with knowledge of electrical, plumbing and building repairs.
- Requires valid driver’s license, fork lift certification (if applicable) and be insurable.
- Must continue with additional education and training in the maintenance field.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- May require working around potentially dangerous equipment.
- May require special clothing or equipment (i.e., goggles, gloves)
- May require working in severe weather under hazardous conditions.
- Frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift objects (in excess of 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the workday.