The Security Specialist serves as the face of Palmer College to visitors, students and employees, the primary visual surveillance point, and a vital point of communication with internal security officers and external police officers within the context of ever-changing security and public safety demands faced by all three campuses.
- Responsible to the Sr. Director of Security or his/her designee and has a support responsibility to all other departments and college personnel as necessary.
- Responsible to the Branch Campus administrator(s) as applicable
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Security Specialist is responsible for:
- staffing security stations or checkpoints;
- providing a welcoming and professional environment at the Campus Welcome Center to students, employees and visitors to the College;
- greeting visitors and issuing guest ID badges upon confirmation by their business hosts;
- confirming that all students and employees present their ID badges upon entering;
- conducting visual surveillance of public access doors;
- monitoring campus surveillance video cameras;
- dispatching security officers to calls for service;
- maintaining security shift log regarding all security activity that occurs during the shift;
- answering and directing incoming calls; and
- programming access control locked doors during special events.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- High quality interpersonal and communication skills
- Well-developed customer service skills
- Security knowledge and competence
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma; Associates Degree preferred. 1 to 2 years of customer service
focused work experience; law enforcement or security experience preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Generally performs sedentary to light work in a ventilated, lighted, and temperature controlled office/atrium setting.
- Frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 10 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the workday.